JSLS 2000 --- Call for Papers

Hidetosi SIRAI sirai at sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
Sat Dec 25 06:39:23 UTC 1999

The Second Conference of the Japanese Society for Language Sciences (2000)
                                Call for Papers

Conference Dates/ Location
  The Second Conference of the Japanese Society for Language Sciences will
  be held as follows:
        Date:  August 4 (Fri.)- 5 (Sat.), 2000
        Location:  CO-OP Inn Kyoto (Kyoto, Japan)

Submissions
  We would like to encourage submissions on research pertaining to
language sciences, including topics such as language acquisition,
psycholinguistics, psychology of language, discourse analysis,
conversational analysis and sociolinguistics.  Our main purpose is to
highlight research which focuses on Japanese language and the language
acquisition of  Japanese speakers (L1, L2), however, we also encourage
submissions on other language-related topics, from diverse theoretical
perspectives and on different languages. Furthermore, we would also like
to invite submissions pertaining to the development of computer research
tools for language research.

Qualifications for Presenters
   All presenters must be members of JSLS by the first day of the
conference (August 4, 2000).  (This applies only to the person giving
the presentation.  This does not apply to co-authors.) The membership
year of JSLS starts on July 1, and the membership fee is 3,000 yen, or
$25.00 for overseas members.  Please refer to the following website for
membership information:
 http://jchat.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp/JSLS

   All presenters must pre-register for the JSLS 2000 conference by July
15, 2000.  Papers which have been presented at other conferences or
which have been published previously may not be submitted.  You may only
submit one abstract as first author.

The length of each paper presentation will be thirty minutes (20 minutes
for paper presentation, 10 minutes for questions).  Paper presentations
may be given in Japanese or English.

Symposium
    We are planning a symposium for the last day of the conference.  We
would like interested individuals to submit proposals for the symposium
(i.e., topic, panelists).  Individuals planning to submit symposium
proposals must submit their proposals by email to the conference
organizing committee at JSLSconf at diana.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp (Subject:
Symposium Proposal) by March 4, 2000 on Form #3.  There will be some
travel funding for panelists who are non-members.  For further
information, please contact the conference organizing committee.

   The symposium will be selected from among the submitted symposium
proposals by the conference organizing committee.  Individuals
submitting symposium proposals will be contacted regarding acceptance or
non-acceptance by the end of May, 2000.

Submission Guidelines & Review Process
   All submissions should be mailed and postmarked by March 4, 2000
(Saturday).  Please send Forms #1, #2 and #3 to the conference
chairperson, Hidetosi Sirai.

Necessary forms
  (1) Form #1
Presentation title, name of author(s), affiliation, mailing address,
etc. on A4 or letter-size paper
  (2) 3 copies of abstract (on A4 or letter-size paper, in 12 pt,
double-spaced, maximum 4 pages, including title, table, figures & references)
Do not include information which may reveal your identity.  Abstracts
will be accepted
in Japanese or English.  If the language in which you would like to give
your presentation differs from the language of your written abstract,
please let us know.
   (3) 2 self-addressed mailing labels (with your name, address)
[This is unnecessary for those submitting abstracts by email.]

    Please mail your submissions to the following address (please write
"JSLS paper" in red ink on the envelope):
 Prof. Hidetosi Sirai
 Department of Information Sciences
 Chukyo University
 101
 Toyota-shi, Aichi Prefecture 470-0393 JAPAN

    We will also accept submissions made by email.  Please address email
submissions to the following address, in the following manner:
 jsls2000-submit at diana.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
Please send your abstract as a text file in MS-WORD, Ichitaro, TEX, PDF
or PostScript format.  We can only accept compressed files in Lha or Zip
format.

    Each abstract will be reviewed anonymously by several reviewers.
Individuals submitting abstracts will be notified of
acceptance/non-acceptance by April 30.  Individuals whose abstracts are
accepted will be requested to send in a copy of their papers on floppy
disc (A4 or letter-size paper, 6 pages maximum) by June 30, 2000, to
appear in the conference program.

    Furthermore, we plan to publish selected papers in the conference
proceedings, following the conference.

Conference Registration
(all presenters must register for the conference)
   All conference participants must submit Form #2 (Registration Form) and
email this form to the conference organizing committee.  All presenters
must register for the conference, although registration is not mandatory
for other co-authors.  Discounted pre-registration fees will be offered
until July 15, 2000.  The registration fee must be paid in one of the
following ways:

   Please send the registration form (Form #2) to
                jsls2000 at diana.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp.
You can also apply by mail or fax (address to JSLS Sirai):
 Prof. Hidetosi Sirai
 Department of Information Sciences
 Chukyo University
 101 Tokodate, Kaizu-cho, Toyota, Aichi, 470-0393 JAPAN
 Fax number: 0565-46-1299(address to JSLS Sirai)
  +81-565-46-1299 (from overseas)

   Conference registration fees, conference program & reception
participation fees should be paid:
 Postal deposit:
 Name of account: JCHAT Gengo Kagaku Kenkyuukai
 Account number: 00850-7-33033

 Bank deposit:
 Name of account: JCHAT Gengo Kagaku Kenkyuukai
    Daihyoo Miyata Susanne
 Account type/number: Futsuu 1082733
 Account branch: Kamiyashiro branch (Branch number: 231)
 Bank name: Chukyo Bank

   Overseas participants: Please either (1) pay your registration fee at
the conference site on the day of the conference, or (2) send a check to
Keiko Nakamura (please refer to Form #4: Registration fee payment for
overseas participants).  Those who choose on-site registration will be
charged the full registration fee.  Those who pre-register and deposit
registration fees by July 15, 2000 will qualify for the discounted
registration fee.

Housing
    It is also possible to stay at the conference site, the Co-op in Kyoto.
Their website is http://www.univcoop.or.jp/faculty/kyoto.html.  Their
address is: Yanaginobaba-dori, North of Takoyakushi, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto,
604, JAPAN. Phone number: 075-256-6600; fax number 075-251-0120.
The price of a single room starts at 6,000 yen per night.
Unfortunately, we cannot make reservations for conference
participants.  Please contact the hotel directly.

    Conference programs and handbooks will not be mailed in advance.  The
conference program will be sent out through the JSLS mailing list and
through the JSLS homepage. The contents of the conference handbook will
also be made available through the JSLS website.  The JSLS website is:
 http://jchat.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp/JSLS/

    Conference Registration Fee, Conference Handbook, Reception Fee
Individuals who apply for membership on the first day of the conference
will be considered to be JSLS members.

Domestic participants
 Registration fee                  Member     Non-member
 Pre-registration                  3,000 yen  5,000 yen
 (paid in full by July 15, 2000)

 Late registration/on-site         4,000 yen  6,000 yen
 registration (after July 16, 2000)

 Conference handbook               2,000 yen  3,000 yen
 Reception                         3,000 yen  3,000 yen

Overseas participants
  Registration fee                 Member    Non-member
 Pre-registration (paid in full    US$25.00  US$45.00
 by July 15, 2000)

 Late registration/on-site         US$33.00  US$50.00
 registration (after July 16, 2000)

 Conference handbook               US$17.00  US$25.00
 Reception                         US$25.00  US$25.00

   Individuals giving paper presentations who will be attending from
overseas may apply for a registration fee waiver (US$25.00).  Please
indicate if you would like to be considered for this waiver on your
submissions form.

The reception has been scheduled for the evening of August 4, Friday,
2000.

   We strongly encourage you to purchase the conference handbook, as it
will contain copies of each paper which will be given at the conference,
with tables, figures and references.  Additional handouts will not be
distributed at the conference, unless prepared by individual presenters.

Student Volunteers
    We are currently recruiting 10 student volunteers to help at the
reception desk and manage the audiovisual equipment.  Each student
volunteer will be expected to work approximately 4 hours. Student
volunteers will be free to attend conference presentations during other
hours.  Student volunteers will not have to pay the registration fee,
and will also receive a free copy of the conference handbook.
Conditions will be the same for student volunteers who are scheduled to
give paper presentations. All volunteers must be student members or
student non-members.  Those interested in being a student volunteer must
apply to the following address by June 15, 2000:

 email: jsls2000-request at diana.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
  (Subject: student volunteer)

  Fax number: 0565-46-1299 (please address to Pro. Sirai, clearly marked
as "student volunteer")

   When applying, please specify what languages you are capable of
communicating in.  We particularly need volunteers with fluency in
English and Japanese.  We will inform you of your status
(acceptance/non-acceptance) by July 1, 2000.

All questions regarding the JSLS 2000 conference should be addressed to:
 email: jsls2000-request at diana.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
 Fax number: 0565-46-1299 (please address to Prof. Sirai)

Inquiries by phone will not be accepted.

Form #1: Application form for submissions
Note: Those applying via email should put "JSLS Submission" in the
subject header.

Title (Japanese):
Title (English):
Name of first author:

Name of co-author (1):
Name of co-author (2):
Name of co-author (3):
If the number of authors exceeds 4, please add the necessary
information).

Affiliation:
Mailing address:  home     work   (please choose one)
Mailing address, with zip code:

Telephone number:

Email address:

Language to be used during paper presentation:     English  Japanese
(please choose one)

JSLS membership status (please choose one):

Already have applied for membership

    Will apply for membership by August 4, 2000

If you are applying from overseas, please indicate if you would like a
registration fee waiver:
(please choose one):

    Yes, I would like a waiver.

    No, I do not need a waiver.

    Not applicable

Form #2: Registration Form
Note: (1) Conference presenters also need to submit this form.
(2) Those registering by email: please put "JSLS Registration" in the
subject header.

I would like to register for the Second Conference of JSLS.

Name:
Affiliation:
Mailing address:  home work (please indicate which)
Mailing address, with zip code:

Telephone number:

Email address:

Conference handbook (please select one):
    Yes, I would like a conference handbook.

    No, I would not like a conference handbook.

Reception (please select one):
    Yes, I would like to attend the reception.

    No, I do not plan to attend the reception.

Amount deposited, with relevant sums:
 (e.g., total: 8,000 yen, registration fee: 3,000 yen, conference
handbook: 3,000 yen;
  reception fee: 3,000 yen)

Overseas participants, please indicate the method by which you will be
paying your
 registration fee:

 On-site registration

 I will mail a check to K. Nakamura

If you are an overseas presenter, please indicate if you would like to
apply for a registration fee waiver:

 Yes, I would like a waiver.

 No, I do not need a waiver.

 Not applicable

Form #3: Application for Symposium
Note: Please list "symposium proposal" in the subject header if you are
applying by email.

Title (Japanese):
Title (English):
Name of symposium organizer/representative:
Affiliation of symposium organizer:
Mailing address:  home work (please indicate which)
Mailing address, with zip code:

Telephone number:

Email address:

Language to be used during presentation:     English   Japanese (please
choose one)

Symposium abstract: Please include the names and affiliations of your
panelists, with a 500-1000 word abstract including the purpose and goals
of your symposium.  Please also indicate if you already have the
commitment of your panelists, and whether (in the case that they are
non-members) they would like to be considered for travel funding.

Form #4: Deposit method for overseas participants

Please send a check or money order in the following manner:
 To: Keiko Nakamura
 Re: JSLS2000
 4-14-18-5 Himonya
 Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-0003 JAPAN

We can only accept checks or money orders in US dollars.  Please send a
check for the appropriate sum, with a copy of your registration form
(Form #2) with the following information:

Name:
Affiliation:
Mailing address:  home work (please indicate which)
Mailing address, with zip code:

Fax number:

Email address:

Conference handbook (please select one):
    Yes, I would like a conference handbook.

    No, I would not like a conference handbook.

Reception (please select one):
    Yes, I would like to attend the reception.

    No, I do not plan to attend the reception.

Amount deposited, with relevant sums in US$:
 (e.g., total: US$67, registration fee: US$25, conference handbook:
US$17;
  reception fee: US$25)

Please indicate whether you are paying by:   check  money order

Membership status:
 I am a JSLS member.

 I plan to apply for membership at the conference site.

 I am not a JSLS member.

If you are an overseas presenter, please indicate if you would like to
apply for a registration fee waiver:

 Yes, I would like a waiver.

 No, I do not need a waiver.

 Not applicable

The registration fee will be US$25.00 for members (US$45.00 for
non-members) who pre-register by July 15, 2000 (i.e., submit
registration forms, deposit registration fee).  After July 16, 2000, the
registration fee will be US$33.00 for members, and US$50.00 for
non-members.  The conference handbook (with full text of papers) will be
US$17.00 for members and US$25.00 for non-members.  The reception fee is
US$25.00.