speech analysis software

Kathleen Peets hemphikp at HUGSE1.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Feb 8 17:33:45 UTC 1999

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions for speech analysis software for
the PC.  These are the options that were suggested:

Speech Analysis Tools				www.jaars/org/icts/softdev.htm

PRAAT				Info:	www.fonsg3.let.uva.nl/praat/praat.html
					Download: www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/praat2385.html

Real Analysis, Dr. Speech		Info:		www.drspeech.com/List_New.html
				Download:www.drspeech.com/Information.html#Download

One challenge I have run into is the ability of the programs to handle
large data files, of, for example, a half to a full hour of extended
discourse.  So far the music program Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) has best
been able to do this, but it has not been able to accomplish the more
language-specific analyses (pitch, text alignment) available with the above
options.  I have not decided which option I will go with, and may in fact
use a combination of two programs (Sonic CHAT and Goldwave, for example).
If anyone would like more information, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks again.

Kathleen Peets
hemphikp at hugse1.harvard.edu