Confidentiality

Kelley Sacco ks7t at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 18 21:25:41 UTC 1999

Brian -- I agree with both Kathy Hirsch-Pasek and Judy Bryant.
One issue we need to keep in mind is the kind of confidentiality
foreseen at the time the original research was approved by the
local Internal Review Board.   I too can imagine everyone
having great difficulty getting post hoc permissions for greater
access to video data in particular, but also audio data.

In fact, in our lab school, we find parents are much more resistent
to video data collection even, on the grounds of confidentiality
concerns, than they used to be.  So I think there'll have to be a
really strict criterion for allowing access and some clear way to
control this.

For data already IN the Archive, it's not clear we can really
allow anything below your highest level (8, was it?).  With new
contributions, we can plan for editing of audio tapes, say, to
remove actual names and other private information.   Videotapes
pose a much bigger problem if the original data are to be made
available outside the original researcher's lab.

Eve