infinitive vs. indicative

Marilyn Vihman m.vihman at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Feb 19 09:44:29 UTC 1999

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Asma Siddiki wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I don't know the answer to the following question and would like some help
> please.
>
> Do children learn the
> infinitive later than the indicative, and if so, then why?
>
> references????  - thanks.
>
> Asma
> Asma Siddiki		     Dept. of Experimental Psychology
> Oriel College                South Parks Road
> Oxford University            Oxford University
> OX1 4EW                      OX1 3UD

I would say that it depends on the verb forms in question and the way they
are used in the input. In my son's first verb uses in Estonian, the
infinitive is the first form for the verbs 'to get', 'to walk', and 'to
drink' (found frequently in the input, as in 'Do you want to...?'), but the
simple imperative, which is the same as the verb form used in negatives, is
the form used for all the other early verbs. Neither of these forms are
marked for person; the indicative with person markers comes in about 2
months later. In my view, there is a mix of phonological, morphological,
and pragmatic factors that affect which verb forms are used early in a
given language. (This kind of question will get some attention in a
forthcoming issue of International Journal of Bilingualism, to be devoted
to cross-linguistic studies of 'first steps in morphological and syntactic
development'.)

- marilyn vihman

  Marilyn M. Vihman
  Professor, Developmental Psychology  |      /\
  School of Psychology                 |     /  \/\
  University of Wales, Bangor,         |  /\/    \ \
  Gwynedd LL57 2DG, U.K.               | /  ======\=\
  tel. 44 (0)1248 383 775
  FAX             382 599              |  B A N G O R