three further references on rules and neural networks

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Tue Jan 5 23:59:51 UTC 1999

p.s. Our recent Science article bears on the relation between rules and
neural networks, topics we have discussed at length before here in
info-childres. Since those earlier messages are archived at
poppy.psy.cmu.edu, I won't repeat my views here, but please allow me to
mention three new sources:

1. Marcus, G. F (1998). Rethinking eliminative connectionism. Cognitive
Psychology, 37, 243-282.

2. Marcus, G. F. (1998). Can connectionism save constructivism? Cognition,
66, 153-182.

3. http://www.psych.nyu.edu/~gary/frontpage.html includes excerpts from my
forthcoming MIT Press book, _The Algebraic Mind: Integrating Connectionism
and Cognitive Science_, along with commentaries by Iris Berent, Bob Hadley,
and Jeff Elman, and a response by me to Elman's commentary.

-- Gary