Baby Signs

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Jan 13 21:52:34 UTC 1999

The Baby Signs book is by Linda Acredolo, right?  She gave a colloquium on
this work a few months ago at CMU and I found it very interesting and not
at all overstated.  She is only suggesting that children and parents can
have fun with this activity during the early stages of language learning.
It gives children a way of talking about things directly that avoides the
tough stuff of articulation and lexical retrieval.  I haven't read the book
and it may include a bit of popularization, but I think the underlying idea
of teaching signs to 15-month-olds (mostly for fun) makes good sense.

--Brian MacWhinney