reporters and early syntax; Babys cry

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 19:58:25 UTC 1999

Lovely!

Another essay -by an Oxford psychology undergraduate - began:

According to the behaviourists, language is acquired post-natally.

I once overheard a conversation between some children of around 8 or 9
about whether people could speak if they didn't have a brain! One child
concluded: "Yes, they could speak, but they wouldn't know the words."

Ann