Benefits to Learning Languages

Jeff ALLEN jeff at elda.fr
Tue Jan 19 08:57:16 UTC 1999

This message just appeared on a different list and seems to be of interest
to those on the CHILDES list as well.  It contains information on children
learning languages, as well as other info.  I am posting the message as is.

Jeff Allen

>Date:         Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:08:23 -0600
>Sender: Less Commonly Taught Language teachers <lctl-t at tc.umn.edu>
>From: Bill Ursel <sohlcln at SK.SYMPATICO.CA>
>Subject: CLN/RCL HIGHLIGHTS: Language Diversity and the Benefits to
     Learning Languages
> [...]
>
>- a detailed review of the relationship between bilingualism and bilingual
>education.  Review of cognitive processes to learning, the risk of the loss
>of language, the international perspective on language learning.  Raises
>good questions for further research.
>
>9) Learning with Language
>http://snow.utoronto.ca/Learn2/va_cues.htm
>
>- A site that provides several exercises related to cognition and language
>learning. An aside, however an interesting 'sidetrip'.
>
>10) Foreign Language Project
>http://www.landmarkcollege.org/flp/index.htm#PA
>
>- A unique perspective on language learning and children with disabilities.
>Not directly related to the question of benefits , however, this should be
>an area of some activity, given the significant numberof children with
>disabilities worldwide.  The Foreign Language Project at Landmark College
>is a FIPSE-funded,  3-year(1996-1999) project to establish best practices
>in teaching foreign languages to students with learning disabilities
>
>11) Languages and the Economy: Canada in an International Perspective
>http://www.pch.gc.ca/OFFLANGOFF/econo/english/part2a.htm
>
>- The purpose of the paper is to carry out an international review of
>economic approaches and the application of minority and foreign languages.
>Provided for the Department of Canadian Heritage.
>
>12) Information-Centered Language Learning: Students Accessing Information
>for Language Purposes.
>http://www.sp.utexas.edu/ork/port/studentcenter.html
>
>-No direct economic link here, however a well written piece.  This paper
>presents ideas and suggestions gleaned from the increased implementation of
>technology as a source for foreign language information, particularly as it
>relates to intermediate and advanced students in composition and advanced
>grammar courses.  A good review of the impact on the capacity and interest
>level of the learner of international languages.
>
>---------------
>
>The following sources provide information on benefits to bilingualism,
>French and English focus:
>
>13) Bilingualism:A Selling Point for Canada (Canadian Heritage)
>http://www.pch.gc.ca/OFFLANGOFF/english/EM01/EM01d.htm
>
>- New Brunswick and Manitoba are noted as places that benefit from
>bilingual students and bilingual members of the workforce.  A small piece
>on the international marketplace is also of interest.
>
>14) 1994-1995 Report on Official Languages -- Economic Benefits of
>Bilingualism
>http://inter.gov.nb.ca/iga/raplan95/part-7.htm
>
>- a few 'sound bite' quotes related to the value of bilingualism.
>
>15) The Benefits of Bilingualism by Dr. Nancy Zelasko
>http://www.alr.org/mj98/fbb11.html
>
>- a well written review of the intrinsic value of language learning.
>Personal stories of a number of students are shared by Dr. Zelasko.
>

>Bill Ursel
>Canadian Languages Network/Le Reseau canadien des langues

Jeff ALLEN - Directeur Technique
European Language Resources Association (ELRA)  &
European Language Resources Distribution Agency (ELDA)
(Agence Européenne de Distribution des Ressources Linguistiques)
55, rue Brillat-Savarin
75013   Paris   FRANCE
Tel: (+33) (0) 1.43.13.33.33 - Fax: (+33) (0) 1.43.13.33.30
mailto:jeff at elda.fr
http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/home.html