HOAX: women in Afganistan

Jane A. Edwards edwards at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Mar 8 03:15:40 UTC 1999

The "women in Afganistan" posting circulated recently on the Berkeley
Linguistics Department list and was exposed as a hoax by Eve Sweetser.
She also suggested 2 more effective means of political action.
I accidentally deleted her original message, but fortunately its contents
were picked up by Jeremy Sirota and are indicated in the ">" part of
the appended.

As for "considerateness" --
     >Even if you decide not to sign, please be considerate and do not kill
     >the petition, pass it on. Thank you.
the Brandeis email address to which the petition was to be emailed
has been closed.  Whether it is "considerate" or not, it's pointless
to propagate it farther.

-Jane Edwards
---------
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:49:41 -0800
To: ling-dept at uclink4.berkeley.edu, matisoff at socrates.berkeley.edu
From: jermy at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: Afghan Women / Femmes afghanes

I completely agree with what Eve says below.
There is too much email waste these days which
is contributing to the mental deterioration of our society.

I believe we need to stand up for our God-given rights. That is
why I am sitting at my computer right now sending out this email.

We need to start an email petition to stop all this email garbage,
and I will be the first one to sign it:
1.  Jeremy Sirota, outraged student
2.
3.