important - concerning a new computer virus

Tomoko Wakabayashi tomoko at Psych.Stanford.EDU
Mon Mar 15 17:15:39 UTC 1999

Just for your information-- since this is a timely topic in our family
right now.

My father's computer recently got a virus through an attachment sent by
somebody he KNOWS.  It seems to be a famous one, called "Happy 1999."  As
soon as he opened the attachment, a firework came up on his screen. Once
you get it, this virus automatically gets attached to every e-mail you
send.  Thus, you will be sending viruses to people without your knowing
about it. I don't know the details concerning what "Happy 1999" does to
your computer besides this, but it is worth a caution not to
open any attachment by this name, or, according to my father, any which
ends with .exe or .con.

Tomoko Wakabayashi