sensorimotor experience and language

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Mon Mar 29 16:13:52 UTC 1999

As a slight historical note, I once raised the question at a meeting,
either BU or Stanford, to Mimi Sinclair, of how children with e.g. major
motor impairment resulting from Thalidomide could develop so well
intellectually without the motor component, and she replied (referring
to sensorimotor development), basically, "They do it with their eyes."

At the time there were a number of reports in the press and a film about
a bright young man named, I believe, Terry Wiles, who was born without
limbs.   He had ultimately been fitted with prostheses, and was leading
an active life, with plans for college.

jbg