dislocations and other peripheral elements

Cecile De Cat cec at cwcom.net
Thu May 20 10:50:13 UTC 1999

I wish to thank all the people who kindly sent me references, comments and suggestions with respect to the query I put on the list a few days ago.  The replies were from Monique Vion, Aurora Bel, Dan Slobin, Elena Nicoladis, Eve Clark, John Grinstead, Gee Macrory, Mela Sarkar, Tom Roeper, Twila Tardif,  and William B. Snyder.

Languages mentionned:
French, Turkish, Catalan, Spanish, Cantonese, Chinese (and particularly, Beijing dialect), English.

References cited:
Aksu-Koc, A., & Slobin, D. I. (1985). Acquisition of Turkish.  In D. I. Slobin (Ed.), The crosslinguistic study of language acquisition: Vol. 1.  Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
Clark, Eve (1985) The acquisition of French.  From her chapter-cum-monograph that appeared in Slobin 1985, The crosslinguistic study of language acquisition (vol.1)
Ferdinand, Astrid (1996) The Development of Functional Categories. The Acquisition of the Subject in French, PhD. Dissertation, Holland Institute of Generative Linguistics (particularly chapter 6).
Friedemann, Marc-Ariel (1993/94) The Underlying Position of External Arguments in French: A Study in Adult and Child Grammar, Language Acquisicion, 3:3, 209-255.
Grinstead, John (1999) His dissertation on the syntax of child Catalan and Spanish addresses the emergence of left-dislocated elements.
Kuntay, Aylin and Dan Slobin wrote a paper on Turkish parental input, including dislocations; They have just finished a review paper on Turkich child language, to appear in the new journal, Turkic Linguistics.
Labelle, Marie & Daniel Valois (1996) The Status of Post-verbal Subjects in French Child Language, Probus, 8, 53-80.
Pierce, Amy. (1992) Language Acquisition and Syntactic Theory: a Comparative Analysis of French and English Child Grammars. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
Powers, Susan. (1996) The Growth of the Phrase Marker: Evidence from Subjects, University of Maryland, Maryland.
Vion, M. (1992). The role of intonation in processing left and right dislocations in French. Journal of experimental child Psychology. 53, 45-71
work by Virginia Brennan, cited in T.Roeper's paper on Merger theory that appeared in Clahsen (ed. (1996) Generative Perspectives on Language Acquisition. Amsterdam: John Benjamins

Again, thanks a lot

Cecile De Cat