Fwd: Re: language in Teletubbies

Eve V. Clark eclark at psych.stanford.edu
Fri May 21 05:23:08 UTC 1999

  Perhaps there are TWO forms here,  eh-oh (hello, without the 'h' or
'l' sounds) and uh-oh.   Uh-oh is certainly current in British English
(used in much teh same way as in the US with young children), and the
other form may be an attempt to represent infant speech without the
medial -l- in hello.

I haven't heard any of the programs so this could be far off the
mark, but Americans sometimes have trouble with British vowels...

Eve Clark