Sad news

Magdalena Smoczynska ULSMOCZY at Vela.filg.uj.edu.pl
Wed Nov 3 16:28:57 UTC 1999

Dear Colleagues,

since I was the person who informed you last year about the
illness of Anton, 9, the child of our colleague Natalya
Gagarina from St. Petersburg (now in Berlin), it is my sad
duty to inform you that Anton died in Berlin 3 days ago,
on October, 28.

The first series of chemotherapy was successful, and he was
in remission for 7 months (Dec. 98 to July 99). The relapse
of leukemia started in July. In spite of the massive
treatment he received, the cancerous cells kept reappearing
in his bone marrow. One month ago the doctors told his
mother they could not give him any more chemotherapy. It
was equivalent to announcing that there were no more
chances to save him. He suffered a lot, both at the
hospital during the chemotherapy and during the last
few weeks at home. But he died quietly, without suffering,
with his mother by his bedside.

He was a brave and thoughtful boy. He was a good person.
Those who met him will remember him forever.

I spoke to Natasha on the phone several times. She is a
very strong person, but she is in a terrible state, of
course. Not only that Anton is gone, but also that they
were a family of two. Now she will have to live alone.

The funeral service is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday,
4th. Unfortunately, I cannot go to Berlin tomorrow.

Thank you to all of you who helped when we asked for help.
What could be done for him, was done.

As for the donations collected for Anton on the account of
Kinderluftbruecke charity fund that were not spent so far,
Natasha told me that she intends to use it to organize
and equip a playroom for children in the hematology station
of the St. Petersburg children's hospital, where Anton was
hospitalized at the beginning of his illness. There is no
playroom there. I think this is a great idea.

Natasha's e-mail in Berlin is:
     gagarina at zas.gwz-berlin.de

I wish I had something else to tell you.

Magdalena Smoczynska