Summary of cross-linguistic readings

Lynn Santelmann santell at nh1.nh.pdx.edu
Sat Nov 20 00:19:27 UTC 1999

Below is a somewhat belated summary of the references that I received
for my original query concerning readings suitable for upper-level
undergrads that give a good cross-linguistic overview, especially in
phonology, syntax and discourse.

Thanks to (and apologies to anyone I've left off the list):
Edith Bavin
Katherine Demuth
Beverly Goldfield
Erika Hoff
David Ingram
Clifton Pye
Ken Wexler

References I received:

Bavin, E.L.  1995. Language Acquisition in Crosslinguistic
Perspective. In Annual Review of Anthropology, Volume 24.,pp 373-396.

Berman, R. A., & Slobin, D. I. (1994). Relating events in narrative:
A crosslinguistic developmental study. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence
Erlbaum Associates.

Demuth, Katherine (to appear). The Acquisition of Bantu Languages.
In Nurse, Derek & Philippson, Gerard (Eds.). The Bantu Languages,
Surrey, Engladn: Curzon Press.

Ingram, D. (1992). Early phonological acquisition: A crosslinguistic
perspective. In C. A. Ferguson, L. Menn, & C. Stoel-Gammon (Eds.),
Phonological development:  Models, research, implications . Monkton,
MD: York Press.

Ingram, D. The Categorization of Phonological Impairment in Hodson, B
& Edwards, M (eds., 1997) Perspectives in Applied Phonology.
Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen

Leonard, Laurence B. Characterizing specific language impairment: A
crosslinguistic perspective. In  Rice, Mabel L. (Ed), et al. (1996).
Toward a genetics of language. (pp.243-256). Mahwah, NJ, USA:
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc

Maratsos, Michael. (1999). Some aspects of innateness and complexity
ingrammatical acquisition. In Barrett, Martyn (Ed), et al.  The
development of language. Studies in developmental psychology. (pp.
191-228). Philadelphia, PA, USA: Psychology Press/Taylor & Francis.

Pye, C. (1990). The acquisition of ergative languages. Linguistics, 28(6),
1291-1330 .

Slobin, D. I. (Ed.). (1985). The crosslinguistic study of language
acquisition. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.

Taylor, O.L. & Leonard, L. (1998). Language acquisition across North
America: Cross-cultural and Cross-linguistic perspectives.  Singular
Publishing.

Wexler, K. (1994). Finiteness and head movement in early child
grammars. In D. Lightfoot & N. Hornstein (Eds.), Verb movement (pp.
305-350). New York: Cambridge University Press.

Lynn Santelmann, Assistant Professor
Department of Applied Linguistics
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751