motor impairment and language

Peter Gordon peter+ at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 30 22:35:53 UTC 1999

I wonder where Chomsky had anything at all to say about motor development
and language development?  This seems to be another example of the total
misreading (or rather non-reading) of Chomsky that gets translated into
something like:  "children learn language in the absence of any relevant
information."  If you read Aspects, he quite explicitly says that children
might require all kinds of environmental supports to acquire language.  The
only point he makes is that such environmental supports do not affect the
shape of the language (i.e., Syntax).  Unfortunately, this has been passed
on like a game of Chinese whispers into all kinds of outrageous claims
about children being able to learn language from the radio etc etc etc.

Peter Gordon