That Hymes quote

r.n.campbell r.n.campbell at stir.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 18:19:49 UTC 1999

The quotation and the page number are correct, but the book is not!  The
source is:-

(1) Hymes, D.H. 1972.  'On communicative competence'. In J.B. Pride & Janet
Holmes (eds.), Sociolinguistics: selected readings, pp. 269-293.  Penguin
Education.

There is a collection of readings:-
(2) Gumperz, J.J. & D.H. Hymes. 1972. Directions in sociolinguistics:  the
ethnography of communication.  Holt, Rinehart & Winston.
This contains a paper by Hymes - 'Models of the Interaction of Language and
Social Life', pp. 35-71, but this is a very different paper.

Hymes published a paper very similar to (1) in 1971:-
(3) Hymes, D.H. 1971. 'Competence and performance in linguistic theory'.
In R. Huxley & E. Ingram (eds.), Language Acquisition: Models and methods,
pp. 3-28.  Academic Press. ISBN 0-12-363450-4.
However, although the first sentence of the quotation below occurs in it,
the second does not.

According to a note made by Hymes in (1), the paper appeared originally as
(4) pp. 1-16 of a report issued by Yeshiva University's Department of
Educational Psychology and Guidance of  a Research Planning Conference on
Language Development among Disadvantaged Children which took place on June
7-8, 1966.

The heading of (1) on p. 269 describes the paper as 'Excerpts from (5) D.H.
Hymes, On communicative competence, Philadelphia: University of
Philadelphia Press, 1971. A note to (2) refers to (6) D.H. Hymes, Towards
communicative competence, (publisher as (5)), 1972.  However, there is no
National Union Catalog entry for (5) or (6).  On the other hand, there is
an entry for (7) D.H. Hymes. 1973. Toward communicative competence. Austin:
U. Texas (Texas Working Papers in Sociolinguistics, 16).

I take an interest in this because Roger Wales and I developed very similar
ideas, labelled in the same fashion as 'communicative competence' in:-
(8) Campbell, R.N. & R.J. Wales. 1970. 'The study of language acquisition'.
In J. Lyons (ed.), New Horizons in Linguistics, pp. 242-260.  Penguin
Pelican.
.. and because I have noticed that Hymes' paper is very commonly mislocated
to (2) or (3) rather than to the correct (1)!

Anne,

The quote is from Dell Hymes.  He is referring to communicative competence.

The quote is as follows:

We have to account for the fact that a normal child acquires knowledge of
sentences, not only as grammatical, but also as appropriate. He or she
acquires competence as when to speak, when not, and what to talk about with
whom, when, where, in what manner. (p. 277)

I belive the source is:  Hymes, D. (1972) On communicative competence. In
J. J. Gumperz & D. Hymes (Eds.) Sociolinguistics (pp. 269-293).
Hammondsworth, England: Penguin.

Judy

>>> <AmeDunbar at aol.com> - 9/17/99 5:30 PM >>>
dear All,
The quotation I have is a French translation and I need to have it in English
for a paper I`m presenting. Does anyone have the original wording of :

"the child acquires a competence which indicates to him when to speak, when
not to speak, and also of what to speak, with whom, at which time, where, how"

(In French it was like this : «l'enfant acquiert une compéténce qui lui
indique quand parler, quand ne pas parler, et aussi de quoi parler, avec qui,
à quel moment, où, de quelle manière.» )

Dr Robin N Campbell
Dept of Psychology, University of Stirling
STIRLING FK9 4LA, Scotland
tele: 01786-467649  facs: 01786-467641
email: r.n.campbell at stir.ac.uk
http://www.stir.ac.uk/departments/humansciences/psychology/Staff/rnc1/