Membership List now searchable

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 28 01:42:58 UTC 1999

Dear Info-CHILDES,

  The CHILDES membership list is now on line and searchable.  It includes
names and addresses for over 2200 child language researchers.  It has a
number of useful functions:
1.  If you would like people to know how to reach you, you can help us update
your record.
2.  If you want to search for child language researchers in a given country,
this is now easy.
3.  If you need to reach someone, this address will hopefully be up to date.

You click on the third link on the childes.psy.cmu.edu home page.  Then you
click on "chilist".  Finally, you give your name as "member" and password as
"babbling."  To find your own record, search for your last name.

Right now, the list can only be accessed by using the password and it is not
editable.  I think it would be more useful if we could allow people to edit
their own records.  However, before implementing that, I want to ask people
to send me a note if they do not want their information made available at
all.  It is easy to remove records from the list and keep them in a separate
"private and unpublished" list.

It is also technically possible to allow people to edit their records.
However, I think it would be best not to enable that feature just yet.

If you find errors in your records or if you want your address made
unavailable to other researchers, please send a note to kelley.sacco at cmu.edu

Many thanks.

--Brian MacWhinney