Early bilingual language acquisition Irish and English

Fred Genesee genesee at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 5 21:32:50 UTC 2000

We have done quite a bit of work on this topic and I have appended a
listing of
our empirical
work below:

Bruck, M., & Genesee, F. (1995).  Phonological awareness in young second
language learners.  Journal of Child Language, 22, 307-324.

Genesee, F., Nicoladis, E., & Paradis, J. (1995).  Language differentiation in
early bilingual development.  Journal of Child Language, 22, 611-632.

Nicoladis, E., & Genesee, F. (1996). Bilingual communication strategies and
language dominance. In A. Stringfellow, D. Cahana-Amitay, E. Hughes, & A.
Zukowski (Eds) Proceedings of the Boston University Conference on Language
Development. 20: 518-527.

Nicoladis, E., & Genesee, F. (1996).  A longitudinal study of pragmatic
differentiation in young bilingual children.  Language Learning, 46, 439-464,

Paradis, J., & Genesee, F. (1996).  Syntactic acquisition in bilingual
children.  Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 18, 1-25.

Genesee, F., Boivin, I., & Nicoladis, E. (1996).  Talking with strangers:  A
study of bilingual children's communicative competence.  Applied
Psycholinguistics, 17, 427-442.

Nicoladis, E., & Genesee, F. (1996).  Word awareness in second language
learners and bilingual children.  Language Awareness,  5:  80-90.

Comeau, L., Genesee, F., Nicoladis, E., & Vrakas, G. (1997). Can young
bilingual children identify their language choice as a cause of breakdown in
communication? In E. Hughes & A. Greenhill (Eds),  Proceedings of the Boston
University Conference on Language Development. 21: 79-90.

Nicoladis, E., & Genesee, F. (1997). The role of parental input and language
dominance in bilingual childrenÕs code-mixing.  Proceedings of the Boston
University Conference on Language Development.  21: 442-432.

Nicoladis, E., & Genesee, F. (1997).  Language development in preschool
bilingual children. Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. 21:
258-270.

Paradis, J., Petitclerc, S., & Genesee, F. (1997).  Word truncation in
French-speaking two-year olds. In E. Hughes & A. Greenhill (Eds),
Proceedings of
the Boston University Conference on Language Development. 21: pp. 441-452.

Paradis, J., &  Genesee, F. (1997).  On continuity and the emergence of
functional categories in bilingual first language acquisition.  Language
Acquisition,  6: 91-124.

Nicoladis, E., & Genesee, F. (1998).  Parental discourse and code-mixing in
bilingual children.  International Journal of Bilingualism, 2: 85-99.

Paradis, J., LeCorre, M., & Genesee, F. (1998). The emergence of tense and
agreement in child L2 French. Second Language Research, 14: pp. 227-257.

Nicoladis, E., Mayberry, R., & Genesee, F. (1999).  Gesture and early
bilingual
development, Developmental Psychology, 35: 514-526.

There are also a number of books with complete references; your student should
do a library search for the following authors" names:

DeHouwer
Dopke
Lanza
Meisel

I would also recommend that she peruse recent and past issues of these
journals:
Journal of Child Language
International Journal of Bilingualism

Fred Genesee

At 03:46 PM 4/5/00 +0100, sdevitt at tcd.ie wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>A student of mine is planning to write her dissertation on simultaneous
>bilingual acquisition of Irish and English. She is having difficulty
>finding appropriate references. Can any one out there help her?
>thanks in advance.
>Sean
>Dr. Sean Devitt
>Senior Lecturer in Education
>School of Education
>University of Dublin
>Trinity College
>Dublin 2
>Ireland
>Phone:  608 1293 (direct)
>Fax:    677 7238 (department office)
>email: sdevitt at tcd.ie

Psychology Department           phone: (514) 398-6022
McGill University               fax: (514) 398-4896
1205 Docteur Penfield Ave.
Montreal, Quebec
Canada
H3A 1B1