CDI: Gender, social class and birth order

Monika Schelkens schelkens_monika at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 08:56:58 UTC 2000

Dear all,

I would like to thank everyone who reacted on my request some time ago on
the MacArthur Communicative Development Inventories. I asked for references
on the relationship between language development and gender, social class
and birth order. I needed this for my thesis on the normative study of the
Dutch CDI's. This is a thesis at the University of Leuven with Prof. Dr.
Inge Zink and Lic. Maryline Lejaegere. Here are the references I collected.
They have been very usefull for my work.

Fenson et al. 1994, Variablility in early communicative development,
Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, ser. no. 242,
vol. 59.

Hart, B., & Risley, T. (1995).  Meaningful differences in the everyday
experiences of young American children.  Baltimore: Paul H. Brooks
Publishing.

Klee et al. (1998), J. Speech Language Hearing Research, 41, 627-41.

Feldman, H.M., Dollaghan, C.A, Campbell, T.F., Kurs-Laasky, M.,
Jonosky, J.E. & Paradise, J.L. (2000).  Measurement properties of the
MacArthur Communicative Development Inventories at ages one and two
years. Child Development, 71(2), 310-322.

Hamilton, A., Plunkett, K & Schafer, G. (in press). Infant vocabulary
development assessed with a British Communicative Development
Inventory

Fenson: the 1993 manual, the 1994 SRCD monograph, and the
April 2000 Child Development commentary

Berglund, E. and M. Eriksson (2000). "Communicative development in Swedish
children 16-28 months old. The Swedish early communicative development
inventory - words and sentences." Scandinavian Journal of Psychology 41(2):
133-144.

Eriksson, M. and E. Berglund (1999). "Swedish early communicative
development inventories: words and gestures." First Language 19(55): 55-90.

and about significant gender differences in children with Down syndrom
Berglund, E., M. Eriksson, et al. (1998). Spoken language in children with
Down syndrome 1 to 5 years old: developmental trends, individual
variation,and sex differences, Department of Psychology, Stockholm
University.
To appear in Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research.

Rodrigue S.R. Assessment of Language Comprehension and Production in
Low-Income Children: Child Performance versus Parent Judgement. Thesis
appearing at the end of August at the San Diego University.

Hoff-Ginsberg, E. (1998). The relation of birth order and socioeconomic
status to children's language experience and language development. Applied
Psycholinguistics, 19, 603-630.