looking for paper on grammatical gender..

Lynn Santelmann santell at nh1.nh.pdx.edu
Mon Aug 14 23:05:09 UTC 2000

I am looking for a copy of a poster that I saw at SRCD in 1999 -- I
believe the paper was by Chryle Ann Elieff and Maria D. Sera and
called "What aspect of grammatical gender influences categorization?"

-- The gist of the study, if I remember correctly, was that the
students learning two gender languages (like Spanish or French) tended to
categorize things into male/female dimensions, whereas students
learning 3 gender languages (like German) did not.

If anyone can point me either to a copy of the study or to the
authors themselves, I would be grateful.

thanks

Lynn Santelmann
Lynn Santelmann, Assistant Professor
Department of Applied Linguistics