equipment recommendations, II

Dale, Philip S. DaleP at health.missouri.edu
Mon Aug 28 13:33:39 UTC 2000

My comments about the greater expense of digital video in the previous
message were too brief to be helpful, and I want to add some additional
information for those who haven't had a chance to look into this new and
appealing technology. Although it is true that digital recorders are more
expensive than analog ($800-1400), there can be considerable savings due to
the fact that there is no need for the equivalent of the VCR deck itself.
Video viewing, editing, and transcribing are done on a PC/Mac, as long as it
is a fairly recent computer, with *plenty* of hard drive space, perhaps a
gigabyte of free hard drive space for a typical video. For longer term
storage of videos,  a simple and relatively inexpensive solution is to get a
CD-RW drive and save the video on a CD (blank CD-RWs are quite inexpensive,
in the range of a dollar or two).

Philip S. Dale, Professor & Chair
Communication Sciences & Disorders
303 Lewis Hall