DVDCAM

Seiko Ono onos at asu.aasa.ac.jp
Wed Aug 30 03:24:39 UTC 2000

2000-08-30
SUBJECT: DVDCAM

----------
> Dear Seiko and Info-CHILDES,
>
>    The pictures at the Hitachi website for the DVD video camera looked
> nice, but I couldn't read the Japanese.  Seiko, could you perhaps help us
> out by explaining something about the way the Hitachi DVD video camera
> works?  I am assuming that it writes directly to a 4.7 GB DVD-RAM disk.
> Does it write raw or compressed data?  I have to assume that it writes in
> compressed DVD-type format.  Does this mean that it uses MPEG 2
> compression?  If I take a DVD produced by this camera can I put it in the
> DVD drive of my Macintosh and treat it like data or do I have to treat it
> like a DVD movie.  If I am forced to treat it like a DVD movie, then I
> think this type of camera is a very bad choice for research purposes.  The
> reason is that it is illegal to decode proprietary DVD formats.  This means
> that we will probably not be able to link transcripts to DVD video and use
> tools like CLAN.  This is a problem not just for the DVD video camera, but
> more generally.  As long as we stick with formats such as QuickTime or
> MPEG, we don't have this problem, since those formats are public.  It would
> be great if you could say that this will not be a problem with the Hitachi
> DVD camcorder.
>
> --Brian MacWhinney

Brian, I am not the right person to answer your question.
Could someone out there answer Brian's question?
Or is the following FYI from Yas sufficient to you, Brian?
Bye for now.

----------
SEIKO ONO
AICHI SHUKUTOKU UNIVERSITY
NAGOYA, JAPAN
   onos at asu.aasa.ac.jp

----------
HITACHI started to sell DVD video camera and DVD video recorder
from August 15, 2000, at least in Japan.

Visit
  http://dvd.hitachi.co.jp/

to find the following:

DVD video camera「DVDCAM」(DZ-MV100)
DVD video recorder (DV-RX2000)

The fixed price of DVD video camera「DVDCAM」(DZ-MV100)
is about US$2300 in Nagoya.
However, the shops in Nagoya offer it for about US$1900.

   onos at asu.aasa.ac.jp