compounds

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 14:00:31 UTC 2000

Eve Clark has done a lot of work on this topic; e.g.

E.V. Clark: The Lexicon in Acquisition; Cambridge University Press, 1993

E.V. Clark, B.F. Hecht and RC Mulford: Coining complex compounds in
English: affixes and word order; Linguistics, 1986, 24, 7-29

E.V. Clark and R.A. Berman: Types of linguistic knowledge: interpreting
and producing compound nouns; Journal of Child Language, 1987, 3, 547-567

E.V. Clark: Lexical creativity in French speaking children; Cahiers de
Pscyhologie Cognitive/ Current Psychology of Cognition, 1998, 17, 513-530
(French children, like French adults, coin fewer compounds than their
English-speaking counterparts).

Other papers that might be of interest include:

G.M. Gottfried: Comprehending compounds: evidence for metaphoric
skill?; Journal of Child Language, 1997, 24, 163-186

H. Van der Lely and V. Christian: Lexical word formation in children with
grammatical SLI; Cognition, 2000, 75, 33-63

D. Vasanta and P. Sailaja: Making sense of compound nouns: a study of word
relatedness on Telugu; Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 1999, 28,
331-346

J. Windsor: The functions of novel word compounds; Journal of Child
Language, 1993, 20, 119-138

Hope some of these are useful,

Ann