Inner State Frogs

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Sat Dec 16 23:04:16 UTC 2000

One of our graduate students is conducting a study in Japan of Inner
State Words in the speech of Japanese moms to their language-learning
children, as well as of the emerging ISWs in the speech of the children.

We thought it might be interesting if as part of her study she used a
wordless picture book, like Frog Where Are You?, especially if there are
English data on inner state words in Frog Stories that could be compared
with the Japanese data she is collecting.

So, question:  has anyone got such data on parents reading the story to
kids with possible coding of ISWs?

(We once used another Mercer Mayer book, The Great Cat Chase, and have
some data on inner state words there, but our subjects were a bit older
than the 2-3 year olds she is seeing.)
--
thanks

jean