JSLS conference --- Final Call for Papers

Mark Langager mark_langager at gse.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 15 19:37:35 UTC 2000

My concern is that the list of presenters for last year included only
speakers with Japanese first names (except the keynote speaker you
invited). I wonder whether this strictly-Japanese selection may have
resulted from a predominantly Japanese applicant pool or because the
blind abstract selection process which you use does not lend itself
to diversity. A rough estimate of the number of non-Japanese versus
Japanese first names of applicants would help clear this up for me
and would serve as a reference for the future.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000
09:23:14 -0500 (EST) Yuriko Oshima-Takane
<yuriko at hebb.psych.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This information would be useful for those who are interested in
> the 2nd JSLS conference. Look forward to receiving many submissions
> from non-Japanese as well as Japanese.
>
> Yuriko Oshima-Takane
> President of JSLS
>

> >To: Mark Langager <mark_langager at gse.harvard.edu>
> >Subject: Re: JSLS conference --- Final Call for Papers
> >Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:16:52 +0900
> >From: Hidetosi SIRAI <sirai at nausicaa.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp>
> >
> >Dear Mark,
> >
> >> May I ask, is your group able to disclose the number of non-Japanese
> >> and Japanese who submitted abstracts last year?
> >
> >We do not have this information as we did not ask for nationality of the
> >submitters.  However, the number of submitted and accepted papers per
> >language (English or Japanese) and info on our review procedures can be
> >found on the JSLS web site:
> >  http://diana.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp/JCHAT/tutorial/review-procedure.html
> >
> >We look forward to receiving many submissions from non-Japanese
> >as well as Japanese. Thank you for your interest in the JSLS conference.
> >Hope to see you at the conference in Kyoto.
> >
> >Hidetoshi Sirai
> >Chairperson of JSLS
> >Chukyo University
> >
> >------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy

Mark Langager
Email: Mark_Langager at gse.harvard.edu
Harvard University Graduate School of Education