Diversity in conference in Japan

Mark Langager mark_langager at gse.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 16 22:45:44 UTC 2000

Thank you, Yuriko, for providing that information.

This is good news, and it is different from the information that I
had. It is encouraging to know that at least one non-Japanese
presenter was selected. I do feel this is important in light of
recently published criticisms of exclusionary practices that pervade
the academic community in Japan (e.g. Hall, 1998).

I truly appreciate your willingness to confront the problem by
seeking more non-Japanese reviewers. I will give it my consideration,
and I hope others on this list serve do the same. Good luck!

Mark Langager

Reference:
Hall, Ivan  P. (1998) Cartels of the mind: Japan's intellectual
closed shop. New York: W.W. Norton

Mark Langager
Email: Mark_Langager at gse.harvard.edu
Harvard University Graduate School of Education