Grammatical categories

Brian Richards b.j.richards at reading.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 09:29:38 UTC 2000

Antonella,

In answer to your questions:
1. I would assume (without seeing the full context) that "I can" is
a modal verb used as an operator for ellipsis.

2. The status of "let" and "let's" is discussed in Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech
and Svartvik (1985) "A comprehensive grammar of the English language".
They regard "let" as a main verb even though it has some similaries with
modal auxiliaries in sentences like "let them come here". However, "let's"
is considered to be "a better candidat than 'let' for quasi-modal status".
(see page 148).

Brian

Brian Richards
School of Education