TOC: New Directions in Language Development and Disorders

Mick Perkins m.perkins at sheffield.ac.uk
Sun Jan 30 12:28:55 UTC 2000

> Mick Perkins wrote:
> >
> > I would like to echo Virginia Valian's reaction to Kluwer's pricing
strategy
> > for academic books. Kluwer is publishing the proceedings of the Child
> > Language Seminar held in Sheffield, UK, in September 1998 (edited by
myself
> > and Sara Howard with the title 'New Directions in Language Development
and
> > Disorders') and have set the price at NLG 325.00 / USD 139.50 / GBP
96.50,
> > which I find outrageous for 314-page book. In face of my protests they
have
> > agreed a 25% reduction for individuals who buy from them directly, but
this
> > excludes bookstores, libraries etc, and is still pretty exorbitant.
> >
> > Mick Perkins
> >
> > Department of Human Communication Sciences
> > University of Sheffield
> > Sheffield, UK.
>
>  Can you please give us the list of the contributors and the titles.
> Thanks
> Sara Eyal
> Tel-Aviv University

Michael Perkins & Sara Howard (Eds.) (2000) New Directions in Language
Development and Disorders. New York: Kluwer/Plenum. ISBN 0-306-46284-2

Table of Contents:

Preface

1 Normal and Abnormal Language Development: Common Ground?

Theories of language learning and children with specific language impairment
Laurence B. Leonard

The relevance of recent research on SLI to our understanding of normal
language development
Gina Conti-Ramsden

Time parsing, normal language acquisition, and language-related
developmental disorders
Jill Boucher

How optional is 'optional' in the Extended Optional Infinitive stage?
Karen Brunger and Alison Henry

Derivational morphology in SLI children: structure and semantics of Hebrew
nouns
Dorit Ravid, Galit Avivi and Ronit Levy

Speech monitoring in retarded children: evidence for metalinguistic
competence
Yonata Levy, A Tennebaum and A Ornoy

Gesture use by two children with tracheostomy: getting ready to use words
Marilyn Kertoy and Alison Morrison

2 Language Universals and Language Specifics

Three hypotheses on early grammatical development
Michael Garman, Christina Schelletter and Indra Sinka

Could a Chomskyan child learn Polish? The logical argument for language
learning
Ewa Dabrowska

On the acquisition of pronominal reference in child Greek
Spyridoula Varlokosta, Panayiota Karafoti and Varvara Karzi

The emergence of periphrastic questions in child French
Bernadette Plunkett

3 Argument Structure

The role of performance limitations in the acquisition of 'mixed'
verb-argument structure at Stage I
Anna L. Theakston, Elena V. M. Lieven, Julian M. Pine and Caroline F.
Rowland

Argument structure preferences in pre-school and school-age children
Richard Ingham, Christina Schelletter and Indra Sinka

Argument structure alternation in French children's speech
Isabelle Barrière, Marjorie Lorch and Marie-Thérese Le Normand

4 Verbs and Verb Morphology

Lexically-specified patterns in early verbal morphology in Spanish
Virginia C Mueller Gathercole, Eugenia Sebastián and Pilar Soto

Infants of 24-30 months understand verb frames
Edith L. Bavin and Carli Growcott

Morphological future in Italian children
Carla Bazzanella and Cristina Bosco

Cross-linguistic developmental evidence of implicit causality  in visual
perception and cognition verbs
Fabia Franco, Alessandra Tasso, M. Chiara Levorato and James Russell

What they hear is what you get? Infinitives and modality in child language
and child-directed speech
Elma Blom, Masja Kempen, Steven Gillis and Frank Wijnen

5 Phonology

An experimental and computational exploration of developmental patterns in
lexical access and representation
Tom Loucas and William D. Marslen-Wilson

Learning to produce three-syllable words: a longitudinal study of Finnish
twins
Tuula Savinainen-Makkonen

The acquisition of the systematic use of pitch by German/English bilingual
children: evidence for two separate phonological systems
Ulrike Gut

6 Pragmatics and Discourse

Acquisition of sentence-final particles in Japanese
Junko Shirai, Hidetoshi Shirai and Yoshiteru Furuta

Cohesion and coherence anomalies and their effects on children's referent
introduction in narrative retell
Maya Hickmann and Phyllis Schneider

7 Literacy

The cognitive determinants of literacy skills in a regular orthography
Dimitris Nikolopoulos and Nata Goulandris

Social class does not predict reading success, but language and
metalinguistic skills do
Carolyn Chaney

Do children with literacy difficulties have non-native-like CVC perception?
Nick Thyer, Barbara Dodd and Louise Hickson