outstanding references

Susan M. Powers spowers at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 31 13:44:23 UTC 2000

Dear Annette & CHILDES Info readers,

With respect to stress in imitation studies, Slobin & Welsh
(1973) gave one child sentences to repeat which correspond
to your inquiries in 1 and 2:

1. a study of lexical repetition where what children repeat is
affected by their sensitivity to syntax:
he runs runs up the hill vs he runs up the hill hill

(11)    I need need the ball

                    versus

(12)    I need the ball ball           (Slobin & Welsh 1973)

2. stress in an imitation study, e.g. the BALL vs THE ball

(1) the pencil is green                  (Slobin & Welsh 1973)

              versus

(5) The pencil IS green        UPPERCASE = stressed

The article can be found in:
Studies of Child Language Development, C.A. Ferguson & D.I.
Slobin (Eds.) New York, Holt, Reinhart & Winston.

Susan Powers
Linguistics Department, University of Potsdam
spowers at rz.uni-potsdam.de