Language functions

Joshua Thompson joshua_thompson at juno.com
Thu Jul 13 19:10:14 UTC 2000

Naomi Baron (1990) points us to various formulas for charting language
functions. She then outlines a set she devised for examining "language -
as - interaction".

"Our goal here is to understand the ways in which adult speech can affect
the language of children. Therefore, we need to focus on how language
functions in human 'interactive' behavior.
"Language-as-interaction is divisible into five main areas: pedagogy,
control, affection, social exchange, information." (p. 19)

Baron, N. S. (1990). Pigeon-birds and rhyming words. Englewood Cliffs,
NJ: Center for Applied Linguistics.

MY QUESTION: who else has used this particular system to organize
language functions, or to evaluate caregiver speech?

Joshua_Thompson at JUNO.com
Cedar Hill, Texas

" ... where seldom is heard a discouraging word ... "