names for mom and dad

Letitia Naigles naigles at UCONNVM.UConn.Edu
Wed Jun 7 12:53:58 UTC 2000

Greetings!

I am looking for everything from personal anecdotes to published reports about
the phenomenon in child language in which children who have been calling their
parents some variant of "mom" and "dad" start calling them by their first names
as well (or instead).  That is, I am not interested in cases where it is the fa
mily convention to call parents by their first names.  Rather, I am interested
in cases where the family convention is to call parents by "mom" and "dad", but
 the children at some point foil this convention and call parents by the names

the parents call themselves/each other.  I am interested in questions such as (
1) when (age/stage of child) does this phenomenon begin? (2) how long does it l
ast? (3) what measures (if any) do parents take to overcome it? (4) does it occ
ur with firstborns and with later-borns?

Thanks in advance for your information and insights.  I will post a summary of
what I learn.
Letty Naigles