More books!

Carolyn Chaney cchaney at sfsu.edu
Wed Mar 1 02:08:20 UTC 2000

Here are some more of our favorite books, with child communication themes.
I added THINKING IN PICTURES, which I am reading right now.  Although
written by an adult, Grandin does comment on her early life and
education...and the things that were most helpful to her in her struggle
with Autism.

Remember, I haven't screened these books, so read at your own risk!

And if you get another idea, please send it to me and I'll update the
list.

Carolyn
TITLE				AUTHOR				TOPIC
Thinking in Pictures		Temple Grandin		Biography/autism
Meaningful Differences in the         Betty Hart & Todd Risely
Everyday Experiences of Young American Children
Ways with Words			Shirley Brice Heath
The Folkstories of Children	Brian Sutton-Smith
>From Two to Five		Kornei Chukovsky	(out of print/try lib.)
A Toddlers Life			Marilyn Schatz			case study
The Dumb House			John Burnett			fiction
A Slant of Sun			Beth Kephart			PDD
Genie
Leaning How to Mean		Halliday
The Poison Oracle		Peter Dickinson	  mystery: sign lang.Chimp
Dancing without Music - 	Beryl Benderly		short stories
	Deafness in America
The Miracle Worker		William Gibson
The Story of My Life		Helen Keller
Lisa and David			Theodore Rubin			Autism
Jordi				Theodore Rubin			Autism
The Ascent of Babel:  An    Gerry Altman   Survey of child lang. issues
Exploration of Language, Mind, and Understanding

In Other Words:  The Science and	Ellen Bialystok and Kenji Hakuta
Psychology of Second Language Acquisition.

In this Sign	Joanne Greenberg	Hearing child of deaf parents

The Way it Spozed to Be	      James Hearndon	Verbal feats of
						ghetto dwelling kids

The Seige:  First 8 Years of an Autistic Girl  Clara C. Park Mothers account
Genie:  An Abused Child's Flight from Silence     Russ Rymer

Reversals:  A Personal 		Eileen Simpson			Memoir
Account of Victory over Dyslexia

Language, Gender and Childhood	Carolyn Steedman, Cathy Urwin and Valerie
				Walkerdine, eds.

The Learning Gap:  Why Our 	Harold W. Stevenson and James W.Stigler
Schools are Failing and What we can learn from Chinese and Japanese
Education.

Girls, Boys, and Language		Joan Swann

Preschool in Three	Joseph J. Tobin, David Y.H. Wu, Dana H. Davidson
Cultures:  Japan, China, and the U.S.