Learning of Chinese characters

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 17:21:58 UTC 2000

There was a special issue of Reading and Writing (1998, Vol. 10,
No.3-5) devoted to "Cognitive processing of Chinese characters, words,
sentences and Japanese kanji and kana".

Your student may also be interested in the following book:

Abraham Inhoff, Hsuan-Chih Chen, and Chi-an Wang: Reading Chinese
Script: A Cognitive Analysis; Erlbaum, 1999

An article that might be of interest is:

Y.P. Chen, D.A. Allport and J.C. Marshall: What are the fundamental
orthographic units in Chinese word recognition: stroke or stroke
pattern? Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Experimental
Psychology, 1996, 49, 1024-1043.

Ann