Books for Bilingual Families

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Fri Mar 17 23:39:34 UTC 2000

Dear Susan and Infochildes,

>>Can anyone recommend books or articles for
>>parents who are raising their children in bilingual
>>environments?

It's hard to stay up with all this.  So I apologize
for sending old sources.  I did just check them,
though, to see that they're available and the links
work.

After your request for titles, I went back to my
nearly defunct webpage from the University of Miami
and found these titles for you.  (I see that the
Baker one has already been sent.)

When we had a grant involving 24 bilingual families,
we subscribed to the _Bilingual Family Newsletter_ for
them and they were always very happy to see it.  It's
always been a drawback that the faxing information
involved an international phonecall, but I've also
included the web address for the publisher, Multilingual
Matters.  They have an order form on line--which
should be a help.

I include also the url for another bilingual parents
forum run by a volunteer. It's not glitzy, but it seems
authentic and helpful.

http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

1990s titles:
Baker, C. (1995) A Parents' and Teachers' Guide to Bilingualism,
Multilingual Matters.

Tabors, P. (1996) One Child, Two Languages, Blackwell.

Hoffman, E. (1990) Lost in Translation, Penguin Books.
    (not really for parents, but very accessible)

1980s "classics":
("Biling-fam", url above, has more information on
some of these references.)
    George Saunders 1988
    Harding & Riley 1986
    Arnberg 1987
    Fantini 1982 & 1985

Also,
    Bilingual Family Newsletter
    Multilingual Matters Ltd.
    Frankfurt Lodge
    Clevedon Hall, Victoria Road
    Clevedon, Avon BS21 7SJ
          England
    fax: 44(0)75 343096
    http://www.multi.demon.co.uk/journals.htm

So, that should be a start for anyone.  Let me know
if you were thinking of more professionally oriented
books about bilingual development.  Of course there
are the Romaine book, Dopke, de Houwer, Zentella,
just to name a few, but they are not of the "how-to"
type.

Good luck.  I look forward to seeing updates to my
information.

Barbara Pearson
Bilingualism Study Group (1988-98)

****************************