Signing babies

Melanie D. Gathercole mgather1 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 30 18:58:49 UTC 2000

The recent discussion of and interest in the use of sign for hearing babies
prompts me to offer additional related resources on modes of communication
other than speech for children not yet developmentally ready to have this
level of abstract symbolic communication.  The understanding that a
hierarchy of symbols is useful for communicative purposes is the foundation
of the theoretical and therapeutic approach known as augmentative and
alternative communication (AAC) for individuals with communication
impairments.  While sign is perhaps the most familiar alternative mode of
communication (for impaired and nonimpaired communicators), the AAC
literature recognizes a large variety of symbolic representations that are
dependent not only on cognitive level, but motor and sensory skills as well.
While sign (most commonly a form of ASL, SEE, or key word signing) is
frequently attempted with individuals who are non-speaking, it is relatively
high on the symbolic hierarchy, in part, because it is dynamic, abstract,
and not as transparent as other symbols.  In addition, for individuals who
have limited fine motor development (including babies), many signs will be
physically impossible because they are bimanual, nonsymmetric, and/or
involve an advanced handshape, movement, or location for their execution.
While I certainly agree it is fascinating to explore the benefits of other
symbolic forms for early communication development (normal or otherwise),
the AAC literature suggests that there are symbolically easier and less
physically complex ways than sign to push the developmental envelope.

For a general discussion on these topics, I would suggest the following