telephone bandwidth

Dale, Philip S. DaleP at health.missouri.edu
Mon May 1 21:08:53 UTC 2000

With many thanks to Jessica Barlow, at San Diego State University:
(note that extra credit is still available)
Refer to

Denes, P. B., & Pinson, E. N. (1993). The Speech Chain: The Physics and
Biology of Spoken Language. (2nd ed.). New York: W H Freeman & Co.

p. 194: they state that telephone bandwidth is about 3.2 kHz.

I don't have the answer to the extra credit!

--JAB
At 03:33 PM 5/1/00 -0500, you wrote:

>This is something of a "trivia quiz" question, but the answer would be
quite
>useful to us.
>
>It's well known that the telephone system utilizes a narrow frequency
>bandwidth, an early decision made to maximize the number of conversations
>that could be carried. But what is the actual cutoff? I - and everyone I've
>checked with - has the vague memory that it's around 3000-3200 Hz, but no
>one can find an actual written reference to this. Can anyone help?
>
>For extra credit, how do the British and U.S. telephone systems compare in
>this regard?
>
>Many thanks,
>Philip Dale

Jessica A. Barlow, Ph.D.
SDSU/UCSD JDP - Language and Communicative Disorders
Dept. Communicative Disorders
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-1518
(619) 594-0243