Summary of references for statistical/computational modeling of form category acquistion

Rachel Chung ting+ at pitt.edu
Fri May 5 17:55:27 UTC 2000

Dear CHILDES readers,

Many thanks to those who responded to my inquiry about references for
statistical/computaitonal modeling of form category acquisition. Here's a
summary of the responses I have gotten so far. I will post another summary
if I get additional reponses in the next couple of days.

-Rachel Chung

>From Michael Brent, Mihan Ketrez, Jim Morgan
Cartwright and Brent (1997) Syntactic categorization in early language
acquisition: Formalizing the role of distributional analysis. Cognition
63, 121-170.
--> This article is reprinte in:
>From Evan Kidd
"Computational approaches to language acquisition"edited by
               Michael R. Brent.
IMPRINT      Cambridge, Mass : MIT Press, 1997.
COLLATION    199p. : ill.
SERIES       Cognition special issues.
ISN/GOV NO   262522292 (pbk. : alk. paper)
LCCN/RID     97011047.
NOTE         "Reprinted from Cognition: international journal of cognitive
               science, volume 61, numbers 1-2, 1996"--T.P. verso.

>From Mihan Ketrez, Jim Morgan
Dr. Toby Mintz at USC Psychology Dept.  has studies on
statistical/computational learning. His e-mail address is
<tmintz at usc.edu>.
--> CHILDES readers: Dr. Mintz emailed me a paper under review. See next
entry.

>From Toby Mintz
I'm attaching a postscript file of a paper currently under review: Mintz,
Newport & Bever, "The Distributional Structure of Grammatical Categories
in Speech
to Young Children."
--> CHILDES readers: I can forward this attachment upon request.

>From David Barner
Try doing a search for a researcher named 'Kiss', who to my knowledge had
some minor successes with this kind of modeling...

>From Jim Morgan
Distributional information: A powerful cue for acquiring syntactic
categories.
Redington,-Martin; Chater,-Nick; Finch,-Steven
Cognitive-Science. 1998 Oct-Dec; Vol 22(4): 425-469

Phonological and Acoustic Bases for Earliest Grammatical Category
Assignment: A Cross-Linguistic Perspective
Shi,-Rushen; Morgan,-James-L.; Allopenna,-Paul
Journal-of-Child-Language, 9PL, England (JChL). 1998 Feb, 25:1, 169-201

Perceptual bases of rudimentary grammatical categories: Toward a broader
conceptualization of bootstrapping.
Morgan,-James-L.; Shi,-Rushen; Allopenna,-Paul
Morgan, James L. (Ed); Demuth, Katherine (Ed); et-al. (1996). Signal to
syntax:  Bootstrapping from speech to grammar in early acquisition. (pp.
263-283). Mahwah, NJ, USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc

The roles of linguistic input and innate mechanisms in children's
acquisition of grammatical categories.
Mintz,-Toben-Herbert
Dissertation-Abstracts-International:-Section-B:-The-Sciences-and-Engineerin
g. 1997 Mar; Vol 57(9-B): 5948