mass media and acquisition

Daniel Dor danield at post.tau.ac.il
Sat May 6 13:11:53 UTC 2000

Dear all,

I'm looking for whatever material there is on the
influence/non-influence of mass media language on language acquisition.
I'm NOT interested in stuff on the relation between exposure to TV and
general development, or even linguistic development, but in actual
structural influences. For example, when children who speak a certain
local dialect of a language are exposed to a lot of TV spoken with the
standard phonology, syntax and so on - do they get some of it, at the
expense of their local variation? Or, when children are exposed to a lot
of hours of another language on TV (in most places that would be global
English), do they get any of it? And what does all that do in terms of
their linguistic identities?

thanks,

-- Daniel

Dr. Daniel Dor