streaming audio and video from CHAT files

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon May 15 22:19:56 UTC 2000

Dear Info-CHILDES,

  It is now possible for you to access streaming audio and video over the web
by clicking on bullets in CHAT files.  This works for both Mac and Windows
and the instructions for doing this are at the second and third URL links at
http://talkbank.org/
  You will need to download new versions of CLAN, QuickTime, and MediaPlayer
(for Windows only), as well as the sample files.  The process of downloading
all of this stuff takes 10 minutes with a fast connection, but can take more
time for slower connections.
   Once you have your system configured, things work remarkably well.
However, if you have only modem access, I would only recommend trying audio
files.   The sample files have been provided by Tim Koschmann, Johannes
Wagner, Takeo Ishii, Brian MacWhinney, and the National Archives.  If you
have files that you wish to place into access in this way, please contact me.
  I would love to receive your comments about this new way of accessing
language sample data.

--Brian MacWhinney