linked audio files on the web

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Nov 9 22:40:25 UTC 2000

Dear Info-CHILDES,
  I have now placed about 30 hours of linked audio files on the web.  They
are at http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/audio/  The files are in AIFF.
  The two corpora we have linked are Bernstein and MacWhinney.  Some of the
MacWhinney files are very carefully linked.  The rests of the MacWhinney
files and all of the Bernstein files are more roughly linked in the sense
that the borders of sounds are approximate.
  Michael Brent tells me that there are simple ways to get exact linking,
but I haven't run into them yet.
  The CHAT files in these folders will download quite quickly.  I haven't
wrapped them up with ZIP, so be careful to make sure they don't get
corrupted during transfer.  If you have problems, I can zip them.
  The audio files should transfer OK without zipping, but they are huge --
in the order of 40-80 MB each.  So please transfer these data prudently.  I
would like to avoid having people loading down the machine with lots of big
audio transfers.
  Eventually, we can distribute these data on DVD in MP3 format, but there
is still some controversy regarding the use of MP3 for our purposes.

--Brian MacWhinney