Tavakolian book

jennifer.harvey2 jennifer.harvey2 at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 20 22:25:39 UTC 2000

For all those interested the book I was looking for...

The reason I couldn't find it was that I had the title slightly wrong and I thought it was a journal article.

It is a book and what I though was an article is actually one of the chapters...

Tavakolian, S.        Language Acquisition and Linguistic Theory
                            Mass. M.I.T. Press  1981
                            Ctrl no.  0262200392

Here are the suggestions for other books that I received...
(Again - thanks for the responses - they were very helpful!)

Tavakolian's position (the conjoined-clause
analysis) is outlined in some detail in more recent, probably more widely
available, publications. You might want to look at:

Lebeaux, D. (1990). The grammatical nature of the acquisition sequence:
adjoin-a and the formation of the relative clause. In L. Frazier & J. De
Villiers (eds.). "Language processing and language acquisition". (pp 13 -
82). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic.

Correa, L. (1995). An alternative assessment of children's comprehension of
relative clauses. "Journal of Psycholinguistic Research", 24, 183 - 203.

Correa, L. (1995). The relative difficulty of children's comprehension of
relative clauses: A procedural account. In: K. Nelson & Z. Reger (eds.).
"Children's language (Vol. 8)". (pp. 225 - 243). Hillsdale, N.J.: Erlbaum.

Crain, S. & Thornton, R. (1998). "Investigation in universal grammar".
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press

(from Evan Kidd)

"If you are interested, my dissertation extract was
published in J of Verbal learning and Vbl BehAVIOR, I think), which
morphed into another title.  Sheldon The acquisition of relative clauses
in English JVLVB 1974.   You might be able to find Taval=kolian online. I
think she got her dissertation at U Mass or maybe MIT before the book
publication data.
 AS"

(from Amy Sheldon)

Hope this was helpful