Word frequency estimates for Spanish II

Miquel Serra mserra at psi.ub.es
Wed Nov 22 11:27:52 UTC 2000

Terry and infochilders,

in addition to the Alameda y Cuetos dictionary referred by Raquel
Anderson, there is an
old but good one of word frequency for (written) spanish:

Juillard, A., and Chang, E., 1964, Frequency dictionary of Spanish
words. The Hague: Mouton.

Just last week has been published in CD-Rom a very useful tool that not
only informs about the written frequency, but allows you to study many
other possibilities about word composition, adjacencies, coeficient of
imaginability, etc. Sebastian, N., Martí, M. A., Carreiras, M. F., and
Cuetos, F., 2000, LEXESP, léxico informatizado del español. Barcelona:
Edicions de la Universitat de Barcelona. ISBN: 84-8338-187-7.

You can ask for it at:
Edicions de la Universitat de Barcelona
Balmes 25,
08007, Barcelona, Spain

e-mail: eub at org.ub.es

If you need an aproximation of (oral) word frequency for children from 1
to 4 years, in the apendix of a book we have published (Serra et al.,
2000, La adquisicion del lenguaje. Barcelona Ariel (Grupo Planeta) ISBN:

84-344-0885-6) there is a list from 12 to 23 months; 24 to 35 and 36 to
47 corresponding to 5.246 types (unhappily not lemmas) and 105.557
tokens up to 0,01% of use, allocated by order (and frequency). This data
correspond to the Serra-Sole corpus that you can find under Catalan (and
Spanish) in attila-www-uia.ac.be/childes

It would be interesting for all of us if we could make a list of
informtatic or other tools for working in the spanish language

Miquel Serra
mserra at psi.ub.es