CLAN -> Praat

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Mon Oct 2 12:32:31 UTC 2000

Dear Infochildes,

I'm wondering if there's anyone sufficiently
familiar with Praat to do a small demo for those
of us who'd like to have a better picture of what
we might want to do with it. I may just be being lazy,
(there *is* an intro in the manual) but I'd like to
see someone take it through its paces on a real project.

I'm thinking of something as informal as bringing
it on a laptop to a conference (like BU?).  I'd be
glad to inquire about finding a space with a data
projector etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?  Would
anyone else be interested in this?

Let me know.

Barbara Pearson

>X-From_: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org  Thu Sep 28 19:29:17 2000
>Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 19:28:17 -0400
>From: Brian MacWhinney <macw at cmu.edu>
>Subject: CLAN -> Praat
>Originator-info:
> login-token=Mulberry:01vxRpwSx1zDjRgvFHBpWZHlJ05O5KSOIsiZcm9ZQ=;
> token_authority=postmaster at andrew.cmu.edu
>Sender: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org
>To: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org
>Cc: paul.boersma at hum.uva.nl
>
>Dear Info-CHILDES,
>
>  Thanks to guidance from Paul Boersma, it is now possible to send a sound
>clip from a CHAT file to the Praat sound analysis program.  To do this, you
>must have a CHAT file with audio segments marked by bullets.  You must have
>Praat installed. You can get Praat from
>http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/
> You must have a brand-new version of CLAN.  Praat must be running when you
>do this.  You then place your cursor before the segment you wish to analyse
>and pull down the Mode menu and select "Send to Praat" Then you analyze the
>clip in Praat.
>  Paul tells me that there may be some instability here, particularly for
>Macintosh.  So, use this carefully, particularly on the Mac, and if you
>have problems please send them directly to me at macw at cmu.edu.  Many thanks.
>
>--Brian MacWhinney

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Project Manager, NIH Working Group on AAE

Department of Communication Disorders
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
117 Arnold House
Amherst MA 01003