Dyslexia and phonology

Jon Machtynger jonmach at informix.com
Tue Oct 10 17:55:39 UTC 2000

Tommy,

> I'm going to  investigate students with dyslexia and
> try to find out about their phonology.
> Does anyone know any studies on the subject?

The question is a little vague but this paper may be of interest to you.  If
not, then perhaps the references could lead you to something more
relevant to your question.

http://www.ph.tn.tudelft.nl/PRInfo/reports/msg00310.html

BTW, Mark Seidenberg seems to have done a fair bit of stuff on language
disorder so perhaps he could help you more specifically.

The abstract etc. follows:

Regards

Jon

------------------

Abstract:

The development of reading skill and the bases of developmental dyslexia
were explored using a connectionist model of word recognition.  Four
issues were examined: the acquisition of phonological knowledge prior to
reading, how this knowledge facilitates learning to read, the bases of
phonological and non-phonological types of dyslexia, and the effects of
literacy on phonological representation. Representing phonological
knowledge in an attractor network yielded improved acquisition and
generalization compared to simple feedforward networks.  Phonological
and surface forms of developmental dyslexia, which are usually attributed
to impairments in distinct lexical and nonlexical processing routes, were
derived from different types of damage to the network. The results provide a
computationally explicit account of the role of phonological representations
in normal and disordered reading and how they are in turn shaped by their
participation in the reading task. They also show that connectionist
principles that have been applied to skilled reading and reading
impairments following brain injury account for many aspects of reading
acquisition.

-
| Jon Machtynger (jonmach at informix.com)                     |
| Technology Marketing - High Performance Systems           |
| Informix Software Ltd.                                    |
| 6 New Square, Bedfont Lakes, Feltham TW14 8HA, UK         |
| Ph: +44 (020) 8818 1216  or (07801) 684216 (mobile)       |