L1 acquisition of past progressive!

Ping Li pli at richmond.edu
Mon Sep 25 14:17:04 UTC 2000

Dear Shoba,

In a recent monograph, Yas Shirai and I examined the phenomena that you
mentioned in both L1 and L2, comparing data across English, Chinese, and
Japanese, with theoretical discussions on developmental, crosslinguistic,
and connectionist perspectives on the acquisition of tense/aspect. The book
should come out soon or anytime now, and you can print out and mail the
order form from the website  http://www.richmond.edu/~pli/book.html or
contact kleinhenz at degruyter.de via email.

Li, P. & Shirai, Y. (2000). The acquisition of lexical and grammatical aspect.
	Berlin and New York: Mouton de Gruyter.

Its Table of Contents is enclosed here for your information:

   Preface
Chapter 1  Introduction
Chapter 2  Aspect: Problem of lexicon and morphology
Chapter 3  Theories of language acquisition and the acquisition of aspect

Chapter 4  Acquisition of aspect in English
Chapter 5  Acquisition of aspect in Chinese
Chapter 6  Acquisition of aspect in Japanese
Chapter 7  A connectionist model of the acquisition of aspect
Chapter 8  Acquisition of aspect: Conclusions and future directions

   Postscript
   Notes

   References

Please let me know if this book is useful to your work.

Best,

Ping Li

Ping Li, Ph.D.                          Email: pli at richmond.edu
Associate Professor                     http://www.richmond.edu/~pli/
Department of Psychology                Phone: (804) 289-8125 (office)
University of Richmond                          (804) 289-1916 (lab)
Richmond, VA 23173, U.S.A.              Fax:   (804) 287-1905