accent perception research

Rachel Chung ting+ at pitt.edu
Fri Apr 6 19:55:48 UTC 2001

Hi all,

I posted a request for research related to accent perception/production in
young children and have received a lot of responses. The references are
summarized below, as well as a few email messages that point to relevant
studies without complete references.

Thanks to all who responded to my email. I really appreciate your help!

Best Regards,
Rachel Chung
=======================
ting at pitt.edu
phone: (412)6244552
office: 255 LH
========================

Nathan, L., Wells, B. & Donlan, C. (1998). Children's comprehension of
unfamiliar regional accents: A preliminary investigation. Journal of Child
Language, 25, 343-365.

Cruz-Ferreira, M. (1999). "Prosodic mixes: strategies in multilingual
language acquisition." The International Journal of Bilingualism 3(1):
1-21.

Chambers, Janice; Vowill, Faye Nell; Chambers, John W., Jr.(1977).
Interference
of Native Dialect in Second Dialect Acquisition. In Redden, James Erskine
(ed.). Proceedings of the First International Conference on Frontiers in
Language  Proficiency and Dominance Testing, Held at Southern Illinois
University at Carbondale, April 21-23, 1977. Carbondale, IL: Southern
Illinois
Univ., Dept. of Ling. pp.143-48.

Chambers, J. K. (1992) Dialect Acquisition. Language 68(4): 673-705.

Eckert, P. (1991). Social polarization and the choice of linguistic
variants.
In P. Eckert (Ed.), New ways of analyzing sound change. (pp. 213-232). New
York: Academic Press.

Payne, A. C. (1980). Factors controlling the acquisition of the
Philadelphia
dialect by out-of-state children. In W. Labov (Ed.), Locating Language in
Time
and Space (pp. 143-178). New York: Academic Press.

Roberts, J., & Labov, W. (1995). Learning to talk Philadelphia:
Acquisition of
short a by preschool children. Language Variation and Change, 7, 101-112.

Roberts, Julie (1997).  Hitting a Moving Target: Acquisition of Sound
Change in
Progress by Philadelphia Children. Language Variation and Change. 9(2):
249-66.

Pearson, Barbara Z. & Navarro, Ana M. (1998).
Do early simultaneous bilinguals have a "foreign accent"
in one or both of their languages?  In A. Aksu-Koc et al., (Eds).
Perspectives on language acquisition: Selected papers from
the VIIth International Congress for the Study of Child
Language (pp. 156-168). Istanbul, Turkey: Bogazici
University Printhouse

Payne, A. (1980). Factors controlling the acquisition of the Philadelphai
dialect by
out-of-state children. In W. Labov (Ed.), Locating language in time and
spece (pp. 143-177). NY:Academic Press.
I don't have the reference, but there was a study of Japanese children
ranging in age from very young to teenagers who during WWII were sent to
the
countryside from Tokyo because of the American bombings.  The study showed
that the older children (teenagers) were less likely to change their
accent
than the younger children.  If you like, I can try to find the reference
for
you.

Ray Weitzman
-------------------------------

I have done my dissertation on phonological awareness in bilingual 5
year-olds
and the task was for them to assign acceptability judgement for changes in
accented
input at the phoneme and distinctive feature levels.
If you might be interested in that, I might send you my abstract. I have
presented
the results on the IASCL Conference in 1999 at the metalinguistic
awareness
section.
Best regards,
Miriam Coimbra

Paula Fikkert's dissertation (HIL? the Netherlands, anyway) is on
children's metrical representations, though I think it's based more
on production data. Likewise Yvan Rose's dissertation from McGill,
and some recent work by John Archibald in my department
(archibal at ucalgary.ca). Suzanne Curtin is writing her dissertation at
USC on children's metrical representations -- this involves
perception studies as well as production, I believe.

Martha McGinnis