your mail

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at cogsci.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 9 18:17:10 UTC 2001

Slobin (1973, pp. 184-185):

"New forms first express old functions, and new functions are first
expressed by old forms.  It turns out that this is a familiar principle in
the psychology of cognitive development, and it is not surprising to find
it in linguistic development as well.  For example, Werner and Kaplan
state (1963, p. 60):
	wherever functional shifts occur during development, the novel
	function is first executed through old, available forms; sooner
	or later, of course, there is a pressure towards the development
	of new forms which are of a more functional-specific character,
	i.e., that will serve the new function better than the older
	forms."

Slobin, D. I. (1973).  Cognitive prerequisites for the development of
grammar.  In C. A. Ferguson & D. I. Slobin (Eds.), STUDIES OF CHILD
LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT (pp. 169-208).  New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston.