Bogoyvalenskiy, D

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Aug 14 15:38:08 UTC 2001

The adverbial use of "good" in the States may have begun as a dialect
variant, but it is now simply idiomatic in certain phrases:  "You did
good," and after "How are you?" "I'm good, how are you?"  But hasn't the
same change occurred with German "gut"?  Isn't "wohl" reserved mainly for
idioms like "Leb wohl"?  Such regularization is not unusual; adverbial -ly
is also falling away in many dialects:  "Go slow," "Do you say this different?"