well, good, wohl, & gut

Thora Tenbrink tenbrink at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Aug 15 11:51:20 UTC 2001

>Similarly, I agree that there's no misunderstanding in the German usage,
>but my recollection is that "gut" is now the general adverb except in
>expression of emotion, as in your example.  The performative adverb would
>be 'gut', I believe--but let's hear from a native speaker!

Seems like a good intuition to start from, I have no objections.
A query in an online dictionary (LEO) brought about some interesting
results that inspire for a more thorough investigation of the semantic
fields of "well", "good", "gut" and "wohl":

done good -- gutgetan
to do good -- wohltun
good deed -- die Wohltat / die gute Tat (which are two very different
concepts!)
to feel good -- sich wohlfühlen (I did not find "sich gut fühlen" -- but I
would certainly use it in certain contexts; however, it is certainly not
equivalent to "sich wohlfühlen")
to sell well -- sich gut verkaufen
to bear oneself well -- sich gut betragen
good -- das Wohl (e.g. common good - das gemeine Wohl/ Wohl der Gesellschaft)
good -- das Gut (e.g. fragile good - zerbrechliches Gut)

At first sight, and corresponding to intuitions, the semantic range of
"wohl" seems to be quite remote from that of (adverbial) "gut".

-- Thora